Where Secrets Lie

Sunday, December 17, 2006

OMG - Boys Liking Pink

Toddler loves this staws you put in the milk and then there is instant milkshake. Well his 2 favourite straws is strawberry (pink) and the banana (yellow). Well we went to do some more Xmas shopping and Toddler wanted the strawberry straws, so I took it down from the shelve and gave it to him to hold. The lady standing next to me says, sheesh I would never let my child drink that, so I politely asked why after she took a box of the vanilla ones. So she says, no I don't mean I won't let him drink it, I mean I won't give him the pink one as that is for girls and I am teaching my son that it is ok to be homosexual. OMG I wanted to die. So I politely said to her, well if he wants to be homesexual, then that is his decision not for me to decide. I am not going to deny him a colour just because people says it is for girls. If he wants to drink pink milkshake then by all means he can drink pink milkshake. If he wants to wear a pink shirt then by all means he can wear a pink shirt and just for that I am on a look out for a pink shirt or top for my son, because personally I think why exclude boys and men from wearing a colour they might like just because it is pink. I was just about to walk away when she asked me if he wants to wear a dress would that also be alright, so I politely said yes, Are you going to tell a scottish man not to wear a kilt because it is a skirt and only girls and women are allowed to wear it. He is a child and if he wants to explore then he must explore, because how else is he going to find who he really is if he doesn't explore all aspects of life. Then the question came, what if he wants to play with a doll? Then he must play with a doll, in fact I bought him a doll before he even could walk and he loves it. He is so gentle with his baby brother, because he had been taught to be gentle with his baby doll, yes sometimes he does get out of hand and occasionally he will lash out to his brother, but the joys I see in him how he carefully will help me dress and change his brother is all because what I had taught him with the doll. His doll even has to sleep in his bed with him. When his baby brother is not in his chair then Toddler will place his baby in the chair. He will feed his baby and even tries to bath his baby, even though his baby is not made for bathing, so yes I will let him play with a doll and then I walked away. The women stood there as I walked away, most probably shocked by my answers, but I was so angry at this point that I wanted to snap this women's head off. I got to the till point, paid for my goods and was about to leave when she came behind me and her son holding a doll. She looked at me and said thanks for the eye opening, sometimes when you are brought up into this world you are taught that certain things are for certain gender and usually the boys are the ones that suffer. I am not going to let my son grow up like that. It is good to have helped someone realise that it isn't bad for a boy to like pink that it isn't bad for a boy to 'dress up', that it isn't bad for them to play with a baby doll, for all these are life experience for them, helping them to find their way in life and to find who they are. Helping them in a later stage to be a good father, to give them the opportunity to enjoy fatherhood, to experience what a mother experience (ok to an extent). I know what it is like to try and get my husband to make a bottle for baby, or to get him to cuddle with baby. He does don't get me wrong, but he stressess when it comes to holding and caring for a baby. He changes a nappy occasionally, but he'd rather look after toddler then look after baby. He never had the opportunity that I am giving to my boys. He never had siblings, he was the only one, but most of all he was taught that only girls plays with dolls. So my boys will be growing up learning that it isn't wrong to like pink, it isn't wrong to play with dolls and it is ok to be different. They are growing up to be children, to find who they are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home